How to Jump Start a Toyota Prius
Are you wondering what to do if your Toyota Prius battery dies while out on the Provo roads? Can you jump start a Prius? Don’t fret! It’s not difficult to jump start a Prius, or any other Toyota Hybrid, and the team at the Brent Brown Toyota service center is here to help! Similar to jump starting a gas-powered vehicle, all that’s needed are jumper cables, a car that has a strong battery, and a solid metallic point. Once everything is set to go, follow the guide Brent Brown Toyota created on how to jump start a Prius below.
Jump Start Your Prius: The Steps
Before you jump start the Prius, make sure that both of the vehicles parked and the engines are turned off. Next, follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Open the hood and look under the fuse box cover. There, you’ll find the jump start terminal.
- Step 2: Connect the red positive jumper cable to the positive terminal in your car.
- Step 3: Connect the second red positive cable to the positive battery terminal on the assisting vehicle.
- Step 4: Connect the black negative cable to the negative battery terminal on the other car.
- Step 5: Secure the second negative clamp to a metallic point that’s a safe distance away. The metallic point should be unpainted and unmoving.
- Step 6: Start the engine on the other vehicle and allow it to run for five minutes.
- Step 7: Start your hybrid car and wait for a “READY” notification.
- Step 8: Disconnect the jumper cables in the reverse order of how they were connected.
Is a New Hybrid Battery Needed?
Were you not successful when you tried to jump start the Prius? A battery replacement may be needed. No matter what drive system you have, the signs are pretty similar. With that said, there are a few warning signs you will only see with hybrid vehicles. If your vehicle is experiencing any of the signs we mention below, please schedule a battery inspection with the Brent Brown Toyota service center.
- Lowered MPG
- The gas-powered engine is working harder than normal
- State of charge fluctuations
- Battery bar drops
Visit the Brent Brown Toyota Service Center Today!
Do you have additional questions about jump starting your Toyota Prius or need to replace a dead battery, we have you covered! Our trusted service center can handle everything from routine oil changes to major automotive repairs. Contact the service center for additional information today. Don’t forget to check out our available parts and service specials so you can save on your next visit.
Learn More at Brent Brown Toyota
The new Toyota RAV4 is a head-turning vehicle, and not just because of its impressive capabilities and stand features! The 2019 Toyota RAV4 colors make this Toyota SUV one of the most eye-catching models in its segment, and once you have had the opportunity to explore all of your options, you will see why more…
The sleek and stylish 2019 Toyota C-HR is a head-turning crossover that receives high praises from industry experts and drivers alike. Also creating a lot of talk and praises in the interior cabin of the new Toyota C-HR. Stop by our Orem showroom and explore the spacious and highly technological interior of the C-HR. Learn…
If you’re anything like most of the growing families near Provo, you depend on your SUV for just about everything. And If you’ve been considering a new three-row SUV from Toyota, you’ll need to be able to answer the question, “How much can a Toyota Highlander tow?” before you can make a final decision. The…