How to Jump a Toyota Prius
What do you do when the battery dies inside your Toyota Prius? Jumping a Prius or another Toyota Hybrid isn’t much different from jumping a gas-powered car. You’ll need jumper cables, an assisting vehicle, and a solid metallic point. Once you have everything you need, check out Brent Brown Toyota’s guide on how to jump a Toyota Prius below!
Jumping a Prius: The Steps
Before you jump start a Toyota Prius, you’ll need to make sure both vehicles are parked and the engines are off. When you’re ready, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Open your car’s hood and look under the fuse box cover. There, you’ll find the jump start terminal.
- Step 2: Connect the red positive jumper cable to the positive terminal in your car.
- Step 3: Connect the second red positive cable to the positive battery terminal on the assisting vehicle.
- Step 4: Connect the black negative cable to the negative battery terminal on the other car.
- Step 5: Secure the second negative clamp to a metallic point that’s a safe distance away. The metallic point should be unpainted and unmoving.
- Step 6: Start the engine on the other vehicle and allow it to run for five minutes.
- Step 7: Start your hybrid car and wait for a “Ready” notification.
- Step 8: Disconnect the jumper cables in the reverse order of how they were connected.
Signs You Need a New Hybrid Battery
Signs you need a battery replacement are similar no matter the drive system, but there are a few red flags that are exclusive to hybrid vehicles. If you notice any of the following signs, schedule a battery inspection at Brent Brown Toyota near Provo:
- Lowered MPG
- The gas-powered engine is working harder than normal
- State of charge fluctuations
- Battery bar drops
Learn More About Toyota Service from Brent Brown Toyota in Orem!
Have questions about jumping a Toyota Prius, or do you need a dead battery replaced? Contact the service department at Brent Brown Toyota, located near Lehi and Draper. Take a moment to review our current parts specials and service specials for savings opportunities!
More from Brent Brown Toyota
If you’re anything like most of the growing families near Provo, you depend on your SUV for just about everything. And If you’ve been considering a new three-row SUV from Toyota, you’ll need to be able to answer the question, “How much can a Toyota Highlander tow?” before you can make a final decision. The…
If reviews from industry experts are anything to go by, the 2019 Toyota Highlander has something for everyone! Whether you’re looking for superior standard features, all-terrain dependability, or a spacious, accommodating third row, you’ll find plenty to get excited about when you step inside the cabin. Here, we’ve collected a few of the most revealing…
If you spend a lot of time behind the wheel of your Toyota Sienna or your Toyota Highlander, you should make sure that your cabin is as calming and relaxing as possible! If you’re the type to invest time in hands-on solutions, making a DIY car air freshener from scratch is a great afternoon project….