How to Jump a Toyota Prius
Many Provo drivers often wonder what to do when the battery dies inside the Toyota Prius. There’s good news! Jumpin a Prius or another Toyota Hybrid is not much different from jumping a gas-powered car. You will need jumper cables, a vehicle with a strong battery, and a solid metallic point. Once you have everything, check out Toyota’s guide on how to jump a Toyota Prius below!
Jumping a Prius: The Steps
Before jump-starting a Toyota Prius, you have to make sure that both cars are parked with the engines off. When that’s accomplished, then following these steps:
- Step 1: Open the hood and look under the fuse box cover. There, you’ll find the jump start terminal.
- Step 2: Connect the red positive jumper cable to the positive terminal in your car.
- Step 3: Connect the second red positive cable to the positive battery terminal on the assisting vehicle.
- Step 4: Connect the black negative cable to the negative battery terminal on the other car.
- Step 5: Secure the second negative clamp to a metallic point that’s a safe distance away. The metallic point should be unpainted and unmoving.
- Step 6: Start the engine on the other vehicle and allow it to run for five minutes.
- Step 7: Start your hybrid car and wait for a “READY” notification.
- Step 8: Disconnect the jumper cables in the reverse order of how they were connected.
Signs You Need a New Hybrid Battery
If jump-starting a hybrid wasn’t successful, you may need a battery replacement. The signs are fairly similar no matter the drive system, but there are several warning signs that are exclusive to hybrid vehicles. If you notice any of the signs mentioned below, it’s time to schedule a battery inspection with the service center at Brent Brown Toyota near Lehi.
- Lowered MPG
- The gas-powered engine is working harder than normal
- State of charge fluctuations
- Battery bar drops
Learn More About Toyota Service from Brent Brown Toyota in Orem!
Have questions about how to jump a Toyota Prius, or do you need a dead battery replaced? Contact the service department at Brent Brown Toyota, located near Draper. Take a moment to review our current parts specials and service specials for additional savings opportunities!
Learn More at Brent Brown Toyota
The new Toyota RAV4 is a head-turning vehicle, and not just because of its impressive capabilities and stand features! The 2019 Toyota RAV4 colors make this Toyota SUV one of the most eye-catching models in its segment, and once you have had the opportunity to explore all of your options, you will see why more…
The sleek and stylish 2019 Toyota C-HR is a head-turning crossover that receives high praises from industry experts and drivers alike. Also creating a lot of talk and praises in the interior cabin of the new Toyota C-HR. Stop by our Orem showroom and explore the spacious and highly technological interior of the C-HR. Learn…
If you’re anything like most of the growing families near Provo, you depend on your SUV for just about everything. And If you’ve been considering a new three-row SUV from Toyota, you’ll need to be able to answer the question, “How much can a Toyota Highlander tow?” before you can make a final decision. The…