How to Jump a Toyota Prius
What do you do when the battery dies inside your Toyota Prius? Jumping a Prius or another Toyota Hybrid isn’t much different from jumping a gas-powered car. You’ll need jumper cables, an assisting vehicle, and a solid metallic point. Once you have everything you need, check out Brent Brown Toyota’s guide on how to jump a Toyota Prius below!
Jumping a Prius: The Steps
Before you jump start a Toyota Prius, you’ll need to make sure both vehicles are parked and the engines are off. When you’re ready, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Open your car’s hood and look under the fuse box cover. There, you’ll find the jump start terminal.
- Step 2: Connect the red positive jumper cable to the positive terminal in your car.
- Step 3: Connect the second red positive cable to the positive battery terminal on the assisting vehicle.
- Step 4: Connect the black negative cable to the negative battery terminal on the other car.
- Step 5: Secure the second negative clamp to a metallic point that’s a safe distance away. The metallic point should be unpainted and unmoving.
- Step 6: Start the engine on the other vehicle and allow it to run for five minutes.
- Step 7: Start your hybrid car and wait for a “Ready” notification.
- Step 8: Disconnect the jumper cables in the reverse order of how they were connected.
Signs You Need a New Hybrid Battery
Signs you need a battery replacement are similar no matter the drive system, but there are a few red flags that are exclusive to hybrid vehicles. If you notice any of the following signs, schedule a battery inspection at Brent Brown Toyota near Provo:
- Lowered MPG
- The gas-powered engine is working harder than normal
- State of charge fluctuations
- Battery bar drops
Learn More About Toyota Service from Brent Brown Toyota in Orem!
Have questions about jumping a Toyota Prius, or do you need a dead battery replaced? Contact the service department at Brent Brown Toyota, located near Lehi and Draper. Take a moment to review our current parts specials and service specials for savings opportunities!
More from Brent Brown Toyota
Regular oil changes are essential to keep your car, truck, or SUV always running safely and in top condition on the streets in and around Salt Lake City. By lubricating the pistons and other internal engine components, oil reduces friction and helps to maximize performance and efficiency. If you’re a DIY type, you’ll find that…
Utah offers some of the most incredible natural beauty and outdoor recreation opportunities in the American West, which means there are a lot of spots near Provo to go and get some exercise, check out an incredible vista, or camp for the weekend. Check out some of the best state parks around Orem, UT with…
What do you do when the battery dies inside your Toyota Prius? Jumping a Prius or another Toyota Hybrid isn’t much different from jumping a gas-powered car. You’ll need jumper cables, an assisting vehicle, and a solid metallic point. Once you have everything you need, check out Brent Brown Toyota’s guide on how to jump a Toyota…